BRINKWORTH PIANO STUDIO
What I expect and Benefits of Music!!
Read the weekly assignment thoroughly.
Practice correctly and thoughtfully at least 6 days a week and for as long as it takes to go through the entire practice assignment.
Come to lessons prepared with all the books and materials.
Behave in a cooperative and respectful manner during lessons.
Participate in the setting of goals.
Keep fingernails trimmed short.
Have clean hands.
Leave gum and other candy at home.
Have a bag or folder that will hold all the lesson materials and be responsible for putting these materials in the bag/folder before coming to a lesson.
Preparation for a lesson consists of sufficient practice time during the week (this is suggested on the student?s practice sheet).
A 30-minute lesson is not the time to practice what was assigned the previous lesson.
Sufficient practice means the student is prepared to perform the pieces I have assigned, without 2 or more attempts.
It is the responsibility of the student to set his/her goal and commitment to practice.
The Practice Time is more important than the lesson and every bit of progress is accomplished through a Team Effort of the student, parent, and teacher.
Piano practicing should be given the same amount of time during a week that a sport practice is given!!
SAMPLE DAILY PRACTICE GUIDE
- Play through a favorite polished piece to start off your practice session.
- Read completely through your weekly assignment so that you know what you need to accomplish by your next lesson.
- Technique work ? finger exercises consisting of Hanon, Concone, Czerny, scales, chords, arpeggios, and other assigned drills.
- Assigned Pieces ? look over the piece and decide what you want to accomplish TODAY during your practice time. (Example: play LH through entire piece with metronome at 80, or play the first two lines HT, etc.)
- Complete all written or listening assignments ? theory, composing, transposing, or tape/CD listening.
- Invent and explore ? have fun making up your own songs or trying to pick out other songs by ear on the piano.
- Be sure and check off your assignments and record your practice time each day.
Benefits of music
1. Music makes you smarter
2. Music is a discipline
3. Music is a language
4. Music is a service to you and others
5. Applied music develops performance skills
6. Music is a science
7. Music is a Social Activity
8. Music is an applied skill
9. Music is fun
10. Music can be a career